Executive Headteacher: Mr Simon Taylor
Head Of School: Mr Mark Simpson
Chair of Board of Directors: Mr Paul Carvin
We are a high school situated in the town of Morpeth in Northumberland. We serve both the town itself and the areas of Coquet and Wansbeck Valleys. We provide for over 1400 students from years 9-13 and have a thriving Sixth Form of around 450 students.
We are one of the top ranking schools in the North East of England for academic achievement. We pride ourselves on being a fully inclusive and truly comprehensive school built on traditional principles and high standards.
In May 2014 Ofsted judged the school to be outstanding in all categories.
At The King Edward VI School every student really does matter, and our excellent range of curricular, extra-curricular and student voice opportunities ensure all our young people can flourish.
- contribute positively and creatively now and in the future
- aspire to be the best they can be, and to achieve success and independence in their learning
- develop the skills, including team-work, enterprise and handling risk, to be successful for life beyond school
- make informed decisions about their future, for a healthy and safe lifestyle
- understand, appreciate and respect each other and the diverse world in which we live
- the highest quality teaching, learning and assessment
- a broad, balanced, stimulating and creative curriculum
- personal support and guidance for all students – especially as they make choices about their future
- a wide choice of enrichment activities to extend development, challenge, enjoyment and international awareness beyond the curriculum
- a continuously improving, flexible and enabling learning environment
We pride ourselves on our enrichment provision as we believe that high quality experiences outside of the classroom help to develop the whole person. We aim to provide opportunities for a wide range of interests and we actively encourage students to develop leadership skills by setting up and running clubs themselves.
Some of the extra curricular clubs we currently offer include:
The School Council is a highly active organisation which allows students to have a voice and change the school for the better. The Council is ran by our Year 13 Senior Students.
We offer a wealth of opportunities for additional enrichment including an Enrichment Week in Year 9, visiting speakers, trips and visits, work experience in Years 10 and 12, and additional qualifications such as ASDAN, Community Sports Leader and Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).
Our excellent careers work has enabled us to be one of the first schools in the country to be awarded the new national Quality in Careers Standard. We believe that our success is not just measured in our excellent examination performance, but in where our students progress to in life. Our highly active alumni keep in touch so we know that the community of students we have had the privilege of working with over the years have gone on to become the positive citizens we all hoped they would.
Please take a moment to look through our web site to get a flavour of what our school has to offer, as we are very proud of our staff, students and our legacy.
Head of School